Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 9: What Actually Happened



Blurb: This was the only time I was standing during my entire trip.

Backstory: It's true that failure is a great learning tool. My trip to Mad River Mountain wasn't an epic failure or even a failure, it was more of a comedy of errors/learning experience.
So here are some lessons I learned:
1. Wear a helmet
2. Don't Snowboard
It was media day at Mad River which meant we got everything for free. I've always wanted to hit the slopes so this was the perfect opportunity. So I got to the resort early to make sure I could get everything in order before my lesson(also free). I'm not going to lie, I thought it would be easy. People always talk about how hard snowboarding is but I never believed them. I blame this lack of belief on the Winter Olympics.
Turns out this shit is hard. There's lots of walking uphill with a board attached to one foot and falling. Lots and lots of falling. The lesson was enjoyable because I was supervised by someone who didn't mind treating me like a baby. Turning was tough and I took a couple spills during that part of class(helmet lesson learned) but I was pretty optimist. Right after the lesson was when this picture was taken, before I hit the bunny hill by myself.
The bunny hill didn't go so well. Again I blame the Winter Olympics. When I got to the top of the hill I did the rollie pollie roll over thing they teach you to get up then I pointed my board forward and took off. The whole thing went much faster than I expected which caused me to panic. I tried to do one of my turns from class but this ended up with me on my ass. This scene replayed four times down the hill. By the time I got to the bottom I was done with the whole experience. I realized I was going to spend the entire day falling and then doing push-ups to get myself back up. Needless to say I turned in my boots and headed home.
All in all I was very glad to have had the whole experience. But next time I'm going to try skiing. I heard that's easier.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I missed you there! I also took a snowboarding lesson, but I only lasted 30 minutes. My left foot was freezing. BTW, I'm "Goofy."

    ReplyDelete